October was all about returning the earth to cover the tunnel for another 200 years or so...


However, before we could do that, we wanted to put in a bit of protective buttressing to support the front arch - Andy Peters was nervous that the movement of the support walls meant he could only support the arch on the outer edge of the east wall, which could potentially move with the weight of soil above.  We therefore dug shallow pits on the east side, and using bricks as shuttering, and a couple of the steel pegs for extra support, formed two substantial cement buttresses.  We also put one in in the west side for extra safety.




The next fun bit was to remove the shoring that had been holding up the vertical bank at the 'water tower' end of the tunnel.  Having broken up the concrete covering the bottom of the Acrow props, this was 'just' a matter of careful dismantling of the hefty timbers...



Pleasingly, very little earth came down in this process - clearly the shoring had performed its task well.


The next job was to waterproof the arch.  Soft Red bricks are not particularly waterproof - as I found out when I tried to use some electrical tools in the tunnel in heavy rain - not a good idea!  We therefore agreed to put a waterproof membrane over the tunnel befoe returning the soil - we did not want to rely on the clay in the soil to keep the rain out.



Also we needed to fit an armoured cable to enable us to have lighting to the ice house.  Peter kindly dug a narrow 1m deep trench down to the back of the WGL toilet block, into which we placed the cable.  He then partially filled it, we laid some warning tape in place, and he completed the back filling.



Finally Peter could start work restoring the earth over the tunnel.





Send mail to sjpegrum@hotmail.com with questions or comments about this web site.                                                                       
Last modified: 17/10/2017